Saturday, October 10, 2009

VeganMofo: french toast all over the place



I never really ate french toast before going vegan. I suspect the reason was because of the egg coating that the bread was dipped in. I never could stomach the strong sulfur scent that eggs gave out. Pretty urpy, if you ask me. However, I can totally get behind fried bread covered in maple syrup which makes vegan french toast right up my alley!

Ken is the french toast maker in our household, and his recipe of choice is the Fronch Toast from Vegan with a Vengeance. Here is some Fronch Toast Ken made us using baguette bread:

fronch toast

Probably the best vegan french toast I ever had (short of my sweet husband's french toast, of course) was from Pick Me Up Cafe in Chicago this past Summer. The bread was so huge!

french toast

I baked up a batch of French Toast Muffins recently, too. The recipe is from 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes. I think the recipe is great, but I healthified these a little too much with whole wheat pastry flour. I will definitely use more all purpose flour next time for a lighter, fluffier muffin.

french toast muffins


A few weeks ago, Ken and I went on a road trip to upstate New York. Our main reason for traveling was to attend and exhibit at the Capitol Region Vegetarian Expo, but we also made a point to make a side trip to Woodstock to visit Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Before we went to the sanctuary, we stopped at a nearby vegan cafe called Garden Cafe. This place was cute, cute, cute. Of course Ken ordered the vegan french toast:

garden cafe

The Garden Cafe French Toast was good, and did the job. Nice reasonable portion, with some warm apple compote on the side.

That's all the french toast I have for you, so I will leave you with some of my favorite pictures from our visit to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. What a beautiful place for these animals to have a safe home!

Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

so happy! so handsome!

handsome rooster

steer

hey sheep!

hanging with the goats

piggie tail

Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary

piggies spooning

8 comments:

Harriet M. Welsch said...

Great pictures of the farm! I especially like the close up of the cute curly pig tail!

Jes said...

Hooray for french toast! I had some in Richmond today--it was super good. And that pig tail, so cute!

Jill said...

that settles it- i'm making french toast in the morning! yummy!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

French toast is so fabulous!

laura said...

i see breakfast for dinner happening this week...

Sara Beth said...

Cute animal pictures. I can't wait to visit Woodstock. I'm going to make it a priority on my next trip to New York.

wedding rings by anne-lisse said...

French Toast is loooove!

super mario said...

I am having french toast tomorrow. Definitely.